Job Posting: Portland Japanese Garden Retail Manager
Portland Japanese Garden seeks Assistant Retail Manager & Buyer Support
The Assistant Retail Manager & Buyer Support reports to the Retail General Manager/Buyer (Retail GM) and the Retail Operations Manager and is responsible to assist with the overall operation of the Retail Department with a focus on customer service, assisting with product procurement, visual merchandising and daily employee management.
Description of Duties
- Assist the Retail GM with product procurement, including attending local and national gift shows, reorders of high volume merchandise and processing purchase orders
- Act as a role model for the Garden’s service standards, including excellent work ethic, outstanding customer service and presentation standards
- Work closely with retail managers to create and maintain appealing and eye-catching merchandise displays that lead the customer through the store/event for optimal sales
- Work closely with Retail GM to create and implement a floor plan and visual merchandising strategy for Behind the Shoji, our annual artist showcase
- Manage daily employee schedules, breaks and tasks including stocking, housekeeping, etc.
- Assist Retail Operations Manager with training of staff on product, policies, procedures and POS
- Serve as Manager on Duty including opening and closing the Gift Store, troubleshooting POS issues, resolving customer complaints, etc.
- Work in store regularly with cash handling, sales, housekeeping and customer service
- Work special garden events as required, including necessary setup or take-down tasks
- Attend weekly meetings with managers and other garden meetings as required
- Acquire and maintain current knowledge about the Garden and Garden events
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
Other duties as assigned Qualifications
- Three years retail experience with at least one year in a management role
- One year experience with product procurement with a focus on visual merchandising
- Proven track record of excellent customer service and cash handling, effective leadership skills, and attention to detail in a fast paced retail environment
- Proficient on a computer; familiar with programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Flexible work schedule and must be able to work overtime on occasion, including weekends and evenings
- Must be comfortable lifting up to 40lbs
- Knowledge of Japanese culture and/or bilingual in Japanese is a plus
- Wage: $31,000–$35,000 per year, DOE
- Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package including heath/dental/vision insurance, 401K, paid vacation/sick/holiday.
- This is a full-time, hourly position. Regular workdays may vary, but generally are Sunday-Thursday from 8:00am-5:00pm or 10:30am-7:30pm (this includes a one-hour, unpaid lunch) and as needed for events.
To apply, email your qualifications, including cover letter, resume (no more than two pages) and a list of three work related references to the Retail Hiring Manager, email@example.com, with the subject “Assistant Retail Manager”. Please no phone calls, mailed, or hand delivered applications. Submit applications by 8/12/16.
All submitted applications will be held in confidence.