Job Posting: Portland Japanese Garden Retail Supervisor
Portland Japanese Garden seeks Retail Supervisor
The Retail Supervisor reports to the Retail Operations Manager and is responsible to assist with the overall operation of the retail department with a focus on customer service, daily employee supervising and shipping and receiving.
Description of Duties
- Act as a role model for the Garden’s service standards, including excellent work ethic, outstanding customer service and presentation standards
- Work in store regularly with cash handling, sales and customer service
- Maintain overall appearance in the Garden Gift Store, retail events and stockroom/shipping area including housekeeping tasks
- Responsible for all shipping and receiving activities, including verifying packing slips, stickering and stocking, packaging products and web customer inquiries
- Responsible for eStore web order processing
- Responsible for ordering supplies for store, office and stockroom/shipping area
- Oversee lower level retail customer service issues
- Participate in updating eStore, including product copy or images
- Produce and maintain product information binder and product/artist signage
- Supervise daily employee schedules, breaks and tasks including stocking, housekeeping, etc.
- Serve as Manager on Duty, including opening and closing the Gift Store, troubleshooting POS issues, resolving customer complaints, etc.
- Train and lead volunteers with daily customer service tasks including sales, gift wrapping, greeting and store updates
- Work special garden events as required, including necessary setup or take-down tasks
- Attend weekly meetings with managers and other garden meetings as required
- Acquire and maintain current knowledge about the Garden and Garden events
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
- Other duties as assigned
- Two years retail experience, with supervisory experience a plus
- Proven track record of excellent customer service and cash handling, effective leadership skills, and attention to detail in a fast paced retail environment
- Proficient on a computer; familiar with programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Flexible work schedule and must be able to work overtime on occasion, including weekends and evenings
- Must be comfortable lifting up to 40lbs
- Knowledge of Japanese culture and/or bilingual in Japanese is a plus
- Wage: $29,000–$33,000 per year, DOE
- Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package including heath/dental/vision insurance, 401K, paid vacation/sick/holiday
- This is a full-time, hourly position. Regular workdays may vary, but generally are Friday-Tuesday from 8:30am-5:00pm or 10:30am-7:30pm (this includes a 30-60 minute, unpaid lunch) and as needed for events
To apply, email your qualifications, including cover letter, resume (no more than two pages) and a list of three work related references to the Retail Hiring Manager, email@example.com, with the subject “Retail Supervisor”. Please no phone calls, mailed, or hand delivered applications. Submit applications by 8/12/16.
All submitted applications will be held in confidence.